Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Surgery Day #1

Woke up this morning and did my 5:30am workout. Trying to pretend like it is any other day so I don't get nervous. The only thing missing so far was my big glass of water because I was told not to eat or drink after midnight. James and I have to be in Greenwood this morning at 9:45 to prep for the procedure, by the time the actual surgery starts I should be starving!

So what is being done and why?? I found a lump in the scariest of places for a women, 5 years ago when I was pregnant with Dillion. My OBGYN checked it out and said it needed further testing. I was sent for a biopsy which came back normal and I was told that unless it got really painful or larger to just ignore it. Well for about the last 6 months it has become increasingly painful. The kids are always climbing on me and it gets bumped and squished a lot. Not to mention, it is 2.7cm (about an inch) long at this point and just needs to be gone! My plan is to feel as good as I can day in and day out! This uncomfortable little lump is not fitting into that plan.

About a month ago I went to my family doctor to set my plan into motion! We discussed a few issues I am having and she set me on the path to getting them fixed. My options for the lump were to stay here in Bloomington and she would send me to a general surgeon who would just take it out and be done. Or she could send me to Greenwood to a breast specialist who would really look into it. As well as look into any possible genetic disposition I have to breast cancer. I chose the second option because I don't want any feeling of "could I have done more" in my life. My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 32, which is very young. So there is a good possibility she had some kind of genetic predisposition which could have been passed onto me. If I have "the cancer gene" I want to know about it so I can be proactive and not just sit around and wait for it to be my turn. So I had the gene testing done and it was sent off nearly two weeks ago. I should have the results late this week or early next. And honestly I wouldn't say I am nervous about that either. There is so much going on right now that I don't have time to sit and think about the "what ifs" Which is a good thing! I am just getting as much done each day as I can, eating healthy and trying to get some weight off so I feel better all around.

My expectations for today...I imagine it will be very uneventful. Okay, I hope it will be uneventful! It should just be a lot of me and James sitting around waiting for things to happen. Then I will get to take a nice afternoon nap and wake up with one less problem to deal with :) It all sounds gravy to me!

Keep us in your thoughts today if you would. Little Ian has a slight fever and I hate to leave him. But I know he will be in good hand with his Grandma Marsha. Oh goodness, she is probably going to need more thoughts and prayers than the rest of us today! Two lovely little boys for 7+hours with 11 meds to give during that time. I think she will sleep well tonight :)

Have a Lovely Day Everyone!


  1. Melissa,

    Just catching up with your blog finally. I like your attitude and I hope you are resting well this evening.


  2. Thank you Kate! My husband took great care of me after the surgery and I am feeling fully recovered now!